Tax deductions for authors and editors
An author is the originator of any written work. Generally, we think of authors/writers writing novels, plays, musicals, manuscripts, texts or multimedia products.
Average weekly pay: $250
Employment size: 10,500
Future growth: Moderate
Skill level Bachelor degree or higher
Typical tax deductions include:
- Overnight travel expenses incurred for research-related travel or short writing trips. For example, although Jane Rawlings lives in Edinburgh, when she was having trouble finishing one of the Harry Potter novels, she moved into a local Edinburgh hotel for a month. The deductible travel expenses will include airfares, accommodation and meals.
- Writing courses and studies that specifically help maintain or improve writing skills or knowledge or are likely to result in an increase of income from writing.
- Motor vehicle travel for research trips, meetings, and promotion.
- Home office occupancy costs if required by the employer to work from home – includes rent, mortgage interest, rates, insurance and repairs.
- Professional seminars, courses, conferences and workshops.
- Computers, tools, and equipment.
- Reference books, technical journals and trade magazines related to work as a writer.
- Phone and internet – work %.
- Home office running expenses.
- Overseas conferences, courses and study tours.
- Work-related portion of pay TV access payments if required to access pay TV as part of work.
- Licences, registrations and subscriptions.
- Handbags, briefcases and satchels.
- Writing courses undertaken before starting work as a writer or making a living from writing.
Tax Strategies we can assist you with.
Self education expenses
Overseas conferences, courses and study tours
Computers, tools, equipment and other assets
Logbook for motor vehicles
Union fees, licences, registrations and subscriptions
Phone and internet
Home office running expenses
Handbags, briefcases and satchels
Overnight travel expenses
Clients served since 2012
Thousands of Aussies trust us with their accounting
"I have been using Mr Tax Refund for a few years now and they have consistently delivered the best and easiest tax returns I've completed. After years of seeing an accountant in who overcharged and made me feel uncomfortable around my earnings and purchases, and always delivering low returns, the easy phone calls with Mr Tax Refund and good kickback have been a revelation. Big ups."
Sheneé Mabalhin Bobrige
Want some free advice?
Got a burning question? Let us help. We’ll even do a month of your bookkeeping and provide you with a set of financial statements for free.