Tax deductions for bricklayers and stonemasons
A bricklayer is a craftsman who lays bricks to construct brickwork. A stonemason is one who lays any combination of stones, cinder blocks, and bricks in the construction of building walls and other works.
Average weekly pay: $1,200
Employment size: 33,300
Future growth: Moderate
Skill level Certificate III or IV
Typical tax deductions include:
- Motor vehicle travel to and from work if having either shifting workplaces (working at more than one site each day before returning home), or transporting bulky equipment (cement mixers and other equipment stored on the bricklayer’s ute or trailer).
- Motor vehicle travel between job sites, to pick up materials, or attend training.
- Dogs, when used at work sites to guard the bricklayer’s tools against theft. The purchase cost of the dog and training fees are not deductible as they are capital costs. In contrast, vet bills and pet food bills may qualify as a tax deduction.
- Phone and internet – work %.
- Overnight travel expenses visiting clients or attending different workplaces – including meals and accommodation.
- Protective clothing including sun-protection clothing, safety-coloured vests, steel-capped boots, gloves, and overalls.
- Sun protection costs including sunglasses and sunscreens.
- Courses, seminars and self-education expenses.
- Computers, tools and equipment.
- Home office running expenses.
- Union fees, licences, registrations and subscriptions.
Tax Strategies we can assist you with.
Self education expenses
Sunglasses, sunscreens and cosmetics
Computers, tools, equipment and other assets
Logbook for motor vehicles
Tax deductible dogs
Union fees, licences, registrations and subscriptions
Phone and internet
Home office running expenses
Overnight travel expenses
Clients served since 2012
Thousands of Aussies trust us with their accounting
"I have been using Mr Tax Refund for a few years now and they have consistently delivered the best and easiest tax returns I've completed. After years of seeing an accountant in who overcharged and made me feel uncomfortable around my earnings and purchases, and always delivering low returns, the easy phone calls with Mr Tax Refund and good kickback have been a revelation. Big ups."
Sheneé Mabalhin Bobrige
Want some free advice?
Got a burning question? Let us help. We’ll even do a month of your bookkeeping and provide you with a set of financial statements for free.