Tax deductions for café and restaurant workers
Cafe and restaurant workers prepare, sell and serve food and beverages for consumption on the premises.
Average weekly pay: $800
Employment size: 98,100
Future growth: Very strong
Skill level High school or Certificate I
Typical tax deductions include:
- Motor vehicle travel between two workplaces, or two jobs, travel picking up goods or attending training.
- Phone and internet – work %.
- Training courses e.g. barista course, first aid.
- Cost of making up till or bar shortages.
- Journals, magazines and books that have content connected to work in the hospitality industry – e.g. Good Food Guide, Top 100 Wines.
- Computers, tools and equipment.
- Overtime meal expenses – if paid an overtime meal allowance under an award or industrial agreement.
- Compulsory work uniform branded with the employers logo.
- Protective footwear, gloves, and clothing.
- Self-education expenses related to current income earning activities.
- Home office running expenses.
- Overnight travel expenses.
- Grooming including hairdressing, cosmetics, hair and skin care products.
- Cost of meals eaten during the workday.
- Conventional clothing such as plain white shirt and black trousers.
Tax Strategies we can assist you with.
Overtime meal expenses
Self education expenses
Computers, tools, equipment and other assets
Compulsory work uniform
Phone and internet
Motor vehicle expenses: cents per km method
Home office running expenses
Overnight travel expenses
Clients served since 2012
Thousands of Aussies trust us with their accounting
"I have been using Mr Tax Refund for a few years now and they have consistently delivered the best and easiest tax returns I've completed. After years of seeing an accountant in who overcharged and made me feel uncomfortable around my earnings and purchases, and always delivering low returns, the easy phone calls with Mr Tax Refund and good kickback have been a revelation. Big ups."
Sheneé Mabalhin Bobrige
Want some free advice?
Got a burning question? Let us help. We’ll even do a month of your bookkeeping and provide you with a set of financial statements for free.