Tax deductions for caretakers
Caretakers maintain and clean residential buildings, schools, offices, holiday camps, caravan parks and associated grounds.
Average weekly pay: $957
Employment size: 7,900
Future growth: Stable
Skill level High School or Certificate I
Typical tax deductions include:
- Motor vehicle travel to and from work if having either shifting workplaces, or transporting bulky equipment (vacuum cleaners, buckets, solvents, and ladders).
- Motor vehicle travel between two jobs, travel to attend meetings and picking up supplies.
- Phone and internet – work %.
- The cost of renewing machinery operating licences and tickets that are required for work.
- Protective clothing and equipment including safety-coloured vests, steel-capped boots, gloves, overalls, aprons, safety glasses, goggles, and breathing masks.
- Compulsory work uniform branded with the employers logo.
- Courses, seminars and self-education expenses.
- Computers, tools and equipment.
- Union fees, licences, registrations and subscriptions.
- Overtime meal expenses – if paid an overtime meal allowance under an industrial award or law.
- Technical or professional magazines related to the cleaning job, e.g. Inclean magazine.
- Home office running expenses.
- Overnight travel expenses attending different workplaces.
- Sun protection costs including sunglasses and sunscreens.
Tax Strategies we can assist you with.
Self education expenses
Sunglasses, sunscreens and cosmetics
Computers, tools, equipment and other assets
Compulsory work uniform
Logbook for motor vehicles
Union fees, licences, registrations and subscriptions
Phone and internet
Home office running expenses
Overnight travel expenses
Clients served since 2012
Thousands of Aussies trust us with their accounting
"I have been using Mr Tax Refund for a few years now and they have consistently delivered the best and easiest tax returns I've completed. After years of seeing an accountant in who overcharged and made me feel uncomfortable around my earnings and purchases, and always delivering low returns, the easy phone calls with Mr Tax Refund and good kickback have been a revelation. Big ups."
Sheneé Mabalhin Bobrige
Want some free advice?
Got a burning question? Let us help. We’ll even do a month of your bookkeeping and provide you with a set of financial statements for free.