Tax deductions for chefs
A chef is a trained professional cook who is proficient in all aspects of food preparation. The word ‘chef’ is derived from the term chef de cuisine, the director or head of a kitchen.
Average weekly pay: $1,050
Employment size: 85,000
Future growth: Very strong
Skill level Associate degree or diploma
Typical tax deductions include:
- Motor vehicle travel to and from work if having either shifting workplaces, or transporting bulky equipment (knives). A deduction is allowable if it’s essential that the chef use the bulky equipment in their daily job, and there is no secure place to store it at work.
- Overseas conferences, courses and study tours – these travel expenses will generally be deductible if they enable the chef to become more proficient in carrying out their current job and will likely lead to an increase in the income from their current job.
- Motor vehicle travel picking up food supplies, attending seminars, and travel between restaurants.
- Computers, knives, tools and equipment.
- Traditional chef’s uniform – consisting of a chef’s hat, chef’s checked pants, a chef’s white jacket and a white neckerchief.
- Home office running expenses.
- Journals, periodicals and magazines that have a content sufficiently connected to a chef’s employment.
- Phone and internet – work %.
- Union fees, licences, registrations & subscriptions.
- Conferences, seminars and training courses to maintain or increase a chef’s knowledge, ability or skills.
- Self-education expenses connected to the chef’s current income-earning activities.
- Overnight travel expenses.
Tax Strategies we can assist you with.
Self education expenses
Overseas conferences, courses and study tours
Computers, tools, equipment and other assets
Compulsory work uniform
Union fees, licences, registrations and subscriptions
Phone and internet
Motor vehicle expenses: cents per km method
Home office running expenses
Overnight travel expenses
Clients served since 2012
Thousands of Aussies trust us with their accounting
"I have been using Mr Tax Refund for a few years now and they have consistently delivered the best and easiest tax returns I've completed. After years of seeing an accountant in who overcharged and made me feel uncomfortable around my earnings and purchases, and always delivering low returns, the easy phone calls with Mr Tax Refund and good kickback have been a revelation. Big ups."
Sheneé Mabalhin Bobrige
Want some free advice?
Got a burning question? Let us help. We’ll even do a month of your bookkeeping and provide you with a set of financial statements for free.