Tax deductions for FIFO workers
FIFO workers work long distances from their home and consequently fly to and from work (every 2 – 6 weeks).
Average weekly pay: $2,037
Typical tax deductions include:
- Motor vehicle travel to and from work if required to transport bulky equipment and there is no secure storage at the workplace.
- Telephone and internet – work %.
- Protective clothing and equipment including fire-resistant clothing, safety-coloured vests, steel-capped boots, breathing masks, gloves, and overalls.
- Compulsory work uniform branded with the employers logo.
- Sun protection costs including sunglasses and sunscreen lotions – includes prescription sunglasses which are photo-chromatic glasses which have filtering and glare-reducing qualities similar to sunglasses.
- Union fees, machinery operating licences, registrations, and subscriptions.
- Computers, travel bags, overnight bags, suitcases, luggage trolleys, tools and equipment.
- Medical examination, drug or alcohol tests for work.
- Courses, seminars and self-education expenses.
- Home office running expenses.
- Overnight travel expenses attending different workplaces or for training.
- Travelling between home and the place of departure (airport) under fly-in/fly-out arrangements – e.g. taxi fares to the airport are non-deductible.
- Alcohol consumed at work functions/events or that has the character of entertainment.
- Relocation expenses if required to relocate closer to a new employment site.
- Security checks prior to getting a job.
Tax Strategies we can assist you with.
Transporting heavy or bulky equipment
Self education expenses
Sunglasses, sunscreens and cosmetics
Computers, tools, equipment and other assets
Compulsory work uniform
Union fees, licences, registrations and subscriptions
Phone and internet
Home office running expenses
Clients served since 2012
Thousands of Aussies trust us with their accounting
"I have been using Mr Tax Refund for a few years now and they have consistently delivered the best and easiest tax returns I've completed. After years of seeing an accountant in who overcharged and made me feel uncomfortable around my earnings and purchases, and always delivering low returns, the easy phone calls with Mr Tax Refund and good kickback have been a revelation. Big ups."
Sheneé Mabalhin Bobrige
Want some free advice?
Got a burning question? Let us help. We’ll even do a month of your bookkeeping and provide you with a set of financial statements for free.