Tax deductions for flight attendants
Flight attendants (also known as stewards/stewardesses, air hosts/hostesses, cabin attendants) are members of an aircrew employed by airlines primarily to ensure the safety and comfort of passengers aboard flights.
Average weekly pay: $1,110
Employment size: 12,000
Future growth: Very strong
Skill level Certificate III or IV
Typical tax deductions include:
- Overnight travel expenses including meals, drinks and incidentals – these will be deductible if incurred, receipted, and not reimbursed.
- Phone and internet – work %.
- Motor vehicle travel between various places of work or training related travel.
- Rehydrating moisturiser and rehydrating hair conditioner.
- Cash or bar shortages – the cost of making up cash or bar shortages.
- Courses and seminars.
- Computers, tools and equipment – includes travel bags, overnight bags, suit packs, suitcases and luggage trolleys.
- Visa application fees – where a visa is a requirement for entry into a country as part of the job.
- Union fees, licences, registrations and subscriptions.
- Home office running expenses.
- Compulsory work uniform branded with the employers logo.
- Grooming expenses – cosmetics, skin care, hairdressing.
- The cost of acquiring product knowledge – for example, on cheese, wine and travel that is not sufficiently related to income-earning activities.
- The cost of buying or maintaining timepieces.
- The cost of transporting luggage to the airport.
Tax Strategies we can assist you with.
Self education expenses
Sunglasses, sunscreens and cosmetics
Computers, tools, equipment and other assets
Compulsory work uniform
Union fees, licences, registrations and subscriptions
Phone and internet
Motor vehicle expenses: cents per km method
Home office running expenses
Overnight travel expenses
Clients served since 2012
Thousands of Aussies trust us with their accounting
"I have been using Mr Tax Refund for a few years now and they have consistently delivered the best and easiest tax returns I've completed. After years of seeing an accountant in who overcharged and made me feel uncomfortable around my earnings and purchases, and always delivering low returns, the easy phone calls with Mr Tax Refund and good kickback have been a revelation. Big ups."
Sheneé Mabalhin Bobrige
Want some free advice?
Got a burning question? Let us help. We’ll even do a month of your bookkeeping and provide you with a set of financial statements for free.