Tax deductions for general practitioners
A general practitioner (also called a GP) is a physician who is a generalist and doesn’t specialise in one particular area of medicine.
Average weekly pay: $1,850
Employment size: 67,300
Future growth: Very Strong
Skill level Bachelor Degree or Higher
Typical tax deductions include:
- Motor vehicle travel between hospitals, clinics, and visiting patients.
- Motor vehicle travel to and from work if having either shifting workplaces (working at more than one site each day before returning home), or transporting bulky equipment. .
- Phone and internet – work %.
- Overnight travel expenses attending medical conferences, seminars, and training courses – includes airfares, accommodation, meals, and incidentals.
- Self-education courses.
- Magazines, books and journals related to health and medicine.
- Medical defence and income protection insurance.
- Compulsory doctors uniform, lab coats, and surgical caps.
- Computers, tools and equipment – includes iPad, laptop, and stethoscope.
- Union fees, licences, registrations and subscriptions – includes medical registration fees and membership fees such as AMA, RACS, RACGP, and RACP.
- Home office running expenses.
- Handbags, briefcases and satchels.
- Overseas conferences, courses and study tours.
Travel for industry functions which includes entertainment, e.g. three-course meal, band, and alcoholic drinks.
Tax Strategies we can assist you with.
Self education expenses
Overseas conferences, courses and study tours
Computers, tools, equipment and other assets
Compulsory work uniform
Logbook for motor vehicles
Union fees, licences, registrations and subscriptions
Phone and internet
Home office running expenses
Handbags, briefcases and satchels
Overnight travel expenses
Clients served since 2012
Thousands of Aussies trust us with their accounting
"I have been using Mr Tax Refund for a few years now and they have consistently delivered the best and easiest tax returns I've completed. After years of seeing an accountant in who overcharged and made me feel uncomfortable around my earnings and purchases, and always delivering low returns, the easy phone calls with Mr Tax Refund and good kickback have been a revelation. Big ups."
Sheneé Mabalhin Bobrige
Want some free advice?
Got a burning question? Let us help. We’ll even do a month of your bookkeeping and provide you with a set of financial statements for free.