Tax deductions for importers, exporters and wholesalers
Importers, exporters and wholesalers plan, organise, direct, control and coordinate the operations of importing, exporting and wholesaling establishments.
Average weekly pay: $1,212
Employment size: 17,500
Future growth: Moderate
Skill level Bachelor Degree or Higher
Typical tax deductions include:
- Motor vehicle travel to and from work if having either shifting workplaces (working at more than one site each day before returning home), or transporting bulky equipment (i.e. client samples and demonstration equipment).
- Motor vehicle travel between offices, visiting clients or for training purposes.
- Phone and internet – work %.
- Client gifts bought for work purposes by salespersons who are entitled to receive commission income – includes a Christmas hamper, a bottle of whisky, wine, gift vouchers, flowers, etc.
- Home office occupancy expenses if required by the employer to work from home – includes rent, mortgage interest, rates, insurance, etc.
- Computers, tools and equipment – includes cameras, video recorders, and laptops.
- Referral commission and expenses.
- Handbags, briefcases and satchels.
- Overnight travel expenses visiting clients, trade shows, and for training/conferences – includes airfares, meals and accommodation.
- Home office running expenses.
- Compulsory work uniform branded with the employers logo.
- Union fees, licences, registrations and subscriptions – includes renewing a sales certificate.
- Work-related training courses – includes first aid, OH&S, bookkeeping, sales techniques, customer service, merchandising, computer skills or management.
- Self-education expenses – includes course fees, books, stationery, equipment and travel.
- Advertising – if earning income from a fixed salary and not entitled to earn commission.
- Gifts – if earning a fixed income and not entitled to earn commission.
- Entertainment expenses including buying lunch for a client or business associate.
- Expenses incurred in attending social functions e.g. monthly sales representative networking breakfasts.
Tax Strategies we can assist you with.
Self education expenses
Computers, tools, equipment and other assets
Compulsory work uniform
Gifts to clients, suppliers and contractors
Union fees, licences, registrations and subscriptions
Phone and internet
Motor vehicle expenses: cents per km method
Home office running expenses
Handbags, briefcases and satchels
Overnight travel expenses
Join thousands of individuals, investors and entrepreneurs who trust us with their tax returns, finance and accounting.
Clients served since 2012
Thousands of Aussies trust us with their tax returns and accounting
Tax Questions? Accounting Questions?
Got a burning question? Let us help. We’ll even do a month of your bookkeeping and provide you with a set of financial statements for free.
Late tax returns are our speciality