Tax deductions for mechanics
Mechanics repair, maintain and test motor vehicle and other internal combustion engines and related mechanical components.
Average weekly pay: $1,000
Employment size: 83,500
Future growth: Stable
Skill level Certificate III or IV
Typical tax deductions include:
- Motor vehicle travel to and from work if having either shifting workplaces (working at more than one site each day before returning home), or transporting bulky equipment/tools.
- Motor vehicle travel between work locations, or for training purposes.
- Phone and internet – work %.
- Computers, tools and equipment – work %.
- Overnight travel expenses attending different workplaces or for training – includes accommodation, meals and accommodation.
- Protective clothing including safety-coloured vests, steel-capped boots, gloves, and overalls.
- Union fees, licences, registrations and subscriptions.
- Sun protection costs including sunglasses, sunscreen and cosmetics.
- Courses, seminars and self-education expenses.
- Home office running expenses.
- Compulsory work uniform branded with the employers logo.
Tax Strategies we can assist you with.
Self education expenses
Sunglasses, sunscreens and cosmetics
Computers, tools, equipment and other assets
Compulsory work uniform
Union fees, licences, registrations and subscriptions
Phone and internet
Motor vehicle expenses: cents per km method
Home office running expenses
Overnight travel expenses
Join thousands of individuals, investors and entrepreneurs who trust us with their tax returns, finance and accounting.
Clients served since 2012
Thousands of Aussies trust us with their tax returns and accounting
Tax Questions? Accounting Questions?
Got a burning question? Let us help. We’ll even do a month of your bookkeeping and provide you with a set of financial statements for free.
Late tax returns are our speciality