Tax deductions for ministers of religion
A minister of religion is a person authorised by a church, or other religious organisation, to perform religious and spiritual functions
associated with beliefs and practices of religious faiths.
Average weekly pay: $932
Employment size: 23,100
Future growth: Moderate
Skill level Bachelor Degree or Higher
Typical tax deductions include:
- Motor vehicle travel visiting parishioners and attending training courses.
- Phone and internet – work %.
- Professional seminars, courses, conferences and workshops.
- Resource books including concordance, theological dictionaries, religious books and publications.
- Self-education courses related to the current job.
- Home office running expenses.
- Clothing – vestments, robes, and uniforms that are not usually worn outside of ministry duties.
- Overnight travel expenses visiting parishioners, or attending different workplaces – includes airfares, meals and accommodation.
- Union fees, licences, registrations and subscriptions.
Benefits provided to employees of religious institutions in respect of pastoral duties or other duties or activities directly related to the practice, study, teaching or propagation of religious beliefs is exempt from FBT. Where the FBT exemption applies to a religious institution employee they can eliminate their tax liability completely by reducing their taxable wages to less than the tax-free threshold and having the employer provide the balance as FBT exempt benefits (i.e. motor vehicle, accommodation, and use of employer credit card).
Tax Strategies we can assist you with.
Self education expenses
Computers, tools, equipment and other assets
Compulsory work uniform
Union fees, licences, registrations and subscriptions
Phone and internet
Motor vehicle expenses: cents per km method
Home office running expenses
Overnight travel expenses
[ivory-search id=”2777″ title=”Searching01″]
Join thousands of individuals, investors and entrepreneurs who trust us with their tax returns, finance and accounting.
Clients served since 2012
Thousands of Aussies trust us with their tax returns and accounting
Tax Questions? Accounting Questions?
Got a burning question? Let us help. We’ll even do a month of your bookkeeping and provide you with a set of financial statements for free.
Late tax returns are our speciality