Tax deductions for music professionals
Music professionals write, arrange, orchestrate, conduct and perform musical compositions.
Average weekly pay: $650
Employment size: 8,700
Future growth: Decline
Skill level Bachelor Degree or Higher
Typical tax deductions include:
- Coaching classes or lessons if undertaken to maintain existing specific skills or to obtain work-related skills for use in a particular role or performance – this applies even if the training is undertaken between engagements.
- Motor vehicle travel to and from work if having either shifting workplaces (working at more than one site each day before returning home), or transporting bulky musical equipment.
- Motor vehicle travel between work locations, or for training purposes.
- Phone and internet – work %.
- Home occupancy costs if working from home – includes % of rent, mortgage interest, rates, insurance, etc.
- Home office running expenses.
- Commissions paid to theatrical agents.
- Computers, tools and equipment – includes televisions, video recorders, compact disc players and professional libraries.
- Overtime meal expenses.
- Audio, videotapes, video digital discs and compact discs used for rehearsal.
- Overseas conferences, courses and study tours.
- Overnight travel expenses including airfares, accommodation and meals.
- Union fees, licences, registrations and subscriptions.
- Client gifts brought for work purposes.
- Joining fees paid to agencies.
- Audition expenses – as incurred to gain work.
- Gifts such as flowers or alcohol provided to fellow performers, producers or directors (as it is a private expense).
- Cost of attending awards nights or other social functions.
Tax Strategies we can assist you with.
Home office occupancy expenses
Self education expenses
Overseas conferences, courses and study tours
Computers, tools, equipment and other assets
Logbook for motor vehicles
Gifts to clients, suppliers and contractors
Union fees, licences, registrations and subscriptions
Phone and internet
Overnight travel expenses
[ivory-search id=”2777″ title=”Searching01″]
Join thousands of individuals, investors and entrepreneurs who trust us with their tax returns, finance and accounting.
Clients served since 2012
Thousands of Aussies trust us with their tax returns and accounting
Tax Questions? Accounting Questions?
Got a burning question? Let us help. We’ll even do a month of your bookkeeping and provide you with a set of financial statements for free.
Late tax returns are our speciality