Tax deductions for police
Police protect and preserve property, public order and safety through the enforcement of laws.
Average weekly pay: $1,600
Employment size: 67,400
Future growth: Strong
Skill level Associate Degree or Diploma
Typical tax deductions include:
- Motor vehicle travel between different worksites – e.g. police stations.
- Fitness expenses if the job requires a fitness level well above the police general standard – e.g. for a physical training instructor, members of special emergency squads, and diving squads.
- Phone and internet – work %.
- Police uniform, bulletproof jacket, protective clothing and physical training clothing – if unique and distinctive to the Police Department.
- Conventional clothing worn by undercover police officers.
- Payments made to informants including cash, food, cigarettes, etc. – provided that the payments are authorised by the police service and not reimbursed.
- Computers, tools and equipment – includes guns, ammunition, bulletproof jackets and vests, body armour, gauntlets, holsters, handgrips, handcuffs, holders, pouches, utility belts, gun cleaning materials, equestrian related equipment, and diving equipment.
- Cost of maintaining and training police dogs.
- Union fees, licences, registrations and subscriptions – includes Police union fees and Federal Police pistol club membership fees.
- Home office running expenses.
- Sun protection costs including sunglasses, sunscreens and cosmetics.
- Self education expenses.
- Costs of maintaining guard dogs or installing security systems for the protection of police officers and their families.
- Gym fees to maintain personal fitness.
- Haircuts, grooming, weight loss programs or supplies – even though the police force has specific regulations.
Tax Strategies we can assist you with.
Self education expenses
Sunglasses, sunscreens and cosmetics
Computers, tools, equipment and other assets
Compulsory work uniform
Union fees, licences, registrations and subscriptions
Phone and internet
Motor vehicle expenses: cents per km method
Home office running expenses
Overnight travel expenses
Clients served since 2012
Thousands of Aussies trust us with their accounting
"I have been using Mr Tax Refund for a few years now and they have consistently delivered the best and easiest tax returns I've completed. After years of seeing an accountant in who overcharged and made me feel uncomfortable around my earnings and purchases, and always delivering low returns, the easy phone calls with Mr Tax Refund and good kickback have been a revelation. Big ups."
Sheneé Mabalhin Bobrige
Want some free advice?
Got a burning question? Let us help. We’ll even do a month of your bookkeeping and provide you with a set of financial statements for free.