Tax deductions for prison officers
Prison officers supervise and control the activities of inmates in prisons and other correctional institutions.
Average weekly pay: $1,452
Employment size: 24,500
Future growth: Strong
Skill level Certificate II or III
Typical tax deductions include:
- Motor vehicle travel between different work sites (e.g. prisons), and for training purposes.
- Phone and internet – work %.
- Prison uniform, protective clothing and physical training clothing – if unique and distinctive to the Prison Department.
- Computers, tools and equipment – includes body armour, gauntlets, handcuffs, holders, pouches, and utility belts.
- Union fees, licences, registrations and subscriptions.
- Home office running expenses.
- Sun protection costs including sunglasses, sunscreen, and cosmetics.
- Self education expenses.
- Overnight travel expenses attending different workplaces or for training purposes – includes airfares, accommodation and meals.
- Costs of maintaining guard dogs or installing security systems for the protection of prison officers and their families.
- Gym fees to maintain personal fitness.
- Haircuts, grooming, weight loss programs or supplies – even though the prison department has specific regulations.
Tax Strategies we can assist you with.
Self education expenses
Sunglasses, sunscreens and cosmetics
Computers, tools, equipment and other assets
Compulsory work uniform
Union fees, licences, registrations and subscriptions
Phone and internet
Motor vehicle expenses: cents per km method
Home office running expenses
Overnight travel expenses
Join thousands of individuals, investors and entrepreneurs who trust us with their tax returns, finance and accounting.
Clients served since 2012
Thousands of Aussies trust us with their tax returns and accounting
Tax Questions? Accounting Questions?
Got a burning question? Let us help. We’ll even do a month of your bookkeeping and provide you with a set of financial statements for free.
Late tax returns are our speciality