Tax deductions for sales/shop assistants
Sales/shop assistants sell goods and services, such as food, clothing, hardware, household appliances, office supplies and cosmetics, in retail and wholesale establishments.
Average weekly pay: $850
Employment size: 503,400
Future growth: Moderate
Skill level High School or Certificate I
Typical tax deductions include:
- Motor vehicle travel between two workplaces (shops), or two jobs, or for training purposes.
- Phone and internet – work %.
- Computers, tools and equipment.
- Journals, magazines and books that have content connected to work in the sales industry.
- Overtime meal expenses – if a meal allowance was received under an industrial award.
- Compulsory work uniform branded with the employers logo.
- Training courses – e.g. sales course.
- Cost of making up till shortages.
- Self-education expenses related to current income earning activities.
- Home office running expenses.
- Handbags, briefcases, and satchels.
- Grooming including hairdressing, cosmetics, hair and skin care products.
- Cost of meals eaten during the workday.
- Conventional clothing – even if the employer makes it compulsory.
Tax Strategies we can assist you with.
Overtime meal expenses
Self education expenses
Computers, tools, equipment and other assets
Compulsory work uniform
Union fees, licences, registrations and subscriptions
Phone and internet
Motor vehicle expenses: cents per km method
Home office running expenses
Handbags, briefcases and satchels
Overnight travel expenses
Clients served since 2012
Thousands of Aussies trust us with their accounting
"I have been using Mr Tax Refund for a few years now and they have consistently delivered the best and easiest tax returns I've completed. After years of seeing an accountant in who overcharged and made me feel uncomfortable around my earnings and purchases, and always delivering low returns, the easy phone calls with Mr Tax Refund and good kickback have been a revelation. Big ups."
Sheneé Mabalhin Bobrige
Want some free advice?
Got a burning question? Let us help. We’ll even do a month of your bookkeeping and provide you with a set of financial statements for free.