Tax deductions for sales representatives
Sales representatives represent companies to sell their goods and business services to wholesale and retail establishments.
Average weekly pay: $1,200
Employment size: 126,300
Future growth: Stable
Skill level Certificate II or III
Typical tax deductions include:
- Motor vehicle travel to and from work if having either shifting workplaces (working at more than one site each day before returning home), or transporting bulky equipment when visiting clients, i.e. client samples and demonstration equipment.
- Motor vehicle travel between offices, visiting clients or for training purposes.
- Phone and internet – work %.
- Client gifts bought for work purposes by salespersons who are entitled to receive commission income – includes a Christmas hamper, a bottle of whisky, wine, gift vouchers, flowers, etc.
- Home office occupancy expenses if required by the employer to work from home – includes a % of rent, mortgage interest, rates, insurance, etc.
- Computers, tools and equipment.
- Referral commission and expenses.
- Handbag, briefcase or satchel.
- Overnight travel expenses visiting clients, or for training/conferences – includes airfares, accommodation and meals.
- Home office running expenses.
- Compulsory work uniform branded with the employers logo.
- Union fees, licences, registrations and subscriptions.
- Work-related training courses – includes first aid, OH&S, bookkeeping, sales techniques, customer service, merchandising, computer skills or management.
- Overseas conferences, courses and study tours.
- Self-education expenses – includes course fees, books, stationery, equipment and travel.
- Advertising – if earning income from a fixed salary and not entitled to earn commission.
- Gifts – if earning a fixed income and not entitled to earn commission.
- Entertainment expenses including buying lunch for a client or business associate.
- Expenses incurred in attending social functions e.g. monthly sales representative networking breakfasts.
Tax Strategies we can assist you with.
Self education expenses
Overseas conferences, courses and study tours
Computers, tools, equipment and other assets
Compulsory work uniform
Logbook for motor vehicles
Gifts to clients, suppliers and contractors
Union fees, licences, registrations and subscriptions
Phone and internet
Home office running expenses
Overnight travel expenses
[ivory-search id=”2777″ title=”Searching01″]
Join thousands of individuals, investors and entrepreneurs who trust us with their tax returns, finance and accounting.
Clients served since 2012
Thousands of Aussies trust us with their tax returns and accounting
Tax Questions? Accounting Questions?
Got a burning question? Let us help. We’ll even do a month of your bookkeeping and provide you with a set of financial statements for free.
Late tax returns are our speciality