Tax deductions for scientists and science professionals
Scientists perform research, teaching, tests and experiments in chemistry, earth sciences, life sciences, and physical sciences.
Average weekly pay: $1,013
Employment size: 62,400
Future growth: Moderate
Skill level Diploma or Degree
Typical tax deductions include:
- Travel to and from work for employees with shifting workplaces (who regularly work at more than one site each day before returning home) or transport bulky equipment (normally 20 plus kilos).
• Travel between job sites, to pick up equipment, or attend training courses.
• Tools and equipment. Depreciate if costing more than $300 each.
• Phone, internet and laptop costs.
• Travel expenses including meals and accommodation expenses incurred when being away from home overnight for work.
• Protective clothing including fire-resistant, sun-protection clothing, safety-coloured vests, steel-capped boots, gloves, overalls, heavy-duty shirts and trousers, overalls, and wet weather gear.
• Overtime meals (if overtime meal allowance received under an industrial award).
• Sun protection costs including sunglasses, hats and sunscreen lotions.
• Union fees, licences and registrations.
• Courses, seminars and self-education expenses.
• Home office running expenses.
Tax Strategies we can assist you with.
Self education expenses
Overseas conferences, courses and study tours
Sunglasses, sunscreens and cosmetics
Computers, tools, equipment and other assets
Union fees, licences, registrations and subscriptions
Phone and internet
Motor vehicle expenses: cents per km method
Home office running expenses
Overnight travel expenses
Join thousands of individuals, investors and entrepreneurs who trust us with their tax returns, finance and accounting.
Clients served since 2012
Thousands of Aussies trust us with their tax returns and accounting
Tax Questions? Accounting Questions?
Got a burning question? Let us help. We’ll even do a month of your bookkeeping and provide you with a set of financial statements for free.
Late tax returns are our speciality