Tax deductions for sportspersons
Sportspersons participate in sporting events for monetary gain either as individuals or as members of a team.
Average weekly pay: $2,000
Employment size: 9,700
Future growth: Strong
Skill level Certificate III or IV
Typical tax deductions include:
- Costs of maintaining a very high level of fitness and physical activity – e.g. gym fees and training fees.
- Legal expenses, fines and penalties for on-field conduct.
- Player-manager and agent fees.
- Union fees, licences, registrations and subscriptions – includes professional association fees and competition entry fees.
- Motor vehicle travel to and from training, matches and other sporting activities if required to transport bulky sporting gear.
- Overnight travel expenses if required to travel away from home overnight to play an interstate or overseas game.
- Phone and internet – work %.
- Luggage if used to transport gear used to play an interstate game.
- Visits to the physio or chiropractor – TR 95/D5.
- Compulsory or corporate clothing, where there is a strictly enforced policy making it compulsory to wear that clothing – this includes shirts with club emblems or embellishments, standard matching shorts or tracksuits, hats or caps with club emblems, jerseys and jumpers with club emblems, and suits with club emblems.
- Protective clothing including headgear, mouthguards, sun-protection clothing, and sports skins.
- Sun protection items including sunglasses, sunscreens, and cosmetics.
- Computers, tools, and equipment – includes training equipment such as weights, mats, bars, sound system, and treadmill.
- Self-education expenses if related to current occupation.
- Home office running expenses.
- Medical expenses.
- General exercise clothing including tracksuits, shorts, tank tops, running shoes, sweat socks, armbands, headbands, and t-shirts.
- Vitamins, minerals, sports supplements (used pre- or post-game such as protein shakes), food substitutes, weight management programme costs and hygiene products.
Tax Strategies we can assist you with.
Self education expenses
Sunglasses, sunscreens and cosmetics
Computers, tools, equipment and other assets
Compulsory work uniform
Logbook for motor vehicles
Phone and internet
Home office running expenses
Overnight travel expenses
Join thousands of individuals, investors and entrepreneurs who trust us with their tax returns, finance and accounting.
Clients served since 2012
Thousands of Aussies trust us with their tax returns and accounting
Tax Questions? Accounting Questions?
Got a burning question? Let us help. We’ll even do a month of your bookkeeping and provide you with a set of financial statements for free.
Late tax returns are our speciality