Tax deductions for travel agents
Travel agents assist clients in making travel arrangements for both business and holiday purposes.
Average weekly pay: $1,080
Employment size: 22,500
Future growth: Moderate
Skill level Certificate II or III
Typical tax deductions include:
- Motor vehicle travel between offices, visiting clients or for training purposes.
- Phone and internet – work %.
- Computers, tools and equipment.
- Client gifts bought for work purposes by salespersons who are entitled to receive commission income – includes a Christmas hamper, a bottle of whisky, wine, gift vouchers, flowers, etc.
- Overnight travel expenses attending conferences, seminars, training courses and industry promotions – includes airfares, accommodation, meals, and incidentals.
- Education, familiarisation and other similar travel if undertaken specifically for work purposes (and not a holiday) -this must meet the guidelines in the 2008 Sanchez case.
- Entry fees to tourist attractions where the sole purpose of the visit was for work-related purposes.
- Compulsory work uniform branded with the employers logo.
- Self-education courses -for example, Cert III in Tourism (Retail Travel Sales).
- Magazines and books related to travel, holidays, sales, customer service, and management.
- Home office running expenses.
- Overseas conferences, courses and study tours.
- Union fees, licences, registrations and subscriptions.
- Educational and familiarisation travel which is a holiday.
- Travel for industry functions which includes entertainment, e.g. three-course meal, band, and alcoholic drinks.
- Passport application and renewal fees – as it relates to the personal right to travel to an overseas destination.
- Travel insurance.
Tax Strategies we can assist you with.
Self education expenses
Overseas conferences, courses and study tours
Computers, tools, equipment and other assets
Compulsory work uniform
Gifts to clients, suppliers and contractors
Union fees, licences, registrations and subscriptions
Phone and internet
Motor vehicle expenses: cents per km method
Home office running expenses
Overnight travel expenses
Join thousands of individuals, investors and entrepreneurs who trust us with their tax returns, finance and accounting.
Clients served since 2012
Thousands of Aussies trust us with their tax returns and accounting
Tax Questions? Accounting Questions?
Got a burning question? Let us help. We’ll even do a month of your bookkeeping and provide you with a set of financial statements for free.
Late tax returns are our speciality