Tax deductions for truck driver
Truck drivers drive heavy trucks, tow trucks, and tankers to transport bulky goods and liquids.
Average weekly pay: $1,300
Employment size: 190,300
Future growth: Moderate
Skill level Certificate II or III
Typical tax deductions include:
- Motor vehicle travel to and from work if having either shifting workplaces (working at more than one site each day before returning home), or transporting bulky equipment (tools, fridge, sleeping gear).
- Motor vehicle travel between work sites or for training purposes.
- Meal expenses when travelling overnight. No substantiation required when a meal allowance has been received and the amount claimed for meal expenses incurred does not exceed the Commissioner’s reasonable amount.
- Dogs, when used to guard the truck or load livestock onto the truck. The vet bills and pet food bills may qualify as a tax deduction.
- Cleaning expenses when travelling overnight including showers, laundry, dry cleaning, soap, and shower shoes.
- Computers, tools and equipment including fridge, freezer, cooking equipment, coffee maker, GPS, bedding, and vehicle maintenance tools.
- Union fees, licences, registrations and subscriptions.
- Phone and internet – work %.
- Medical checkup and drug testing fees.
- Protective clothing, including safety-coloured vests, steel-capped boots, gloves, and overalls.
- Sun protection costs including sunglasses, sunscreen and cosmetics.
- Courses, seminars and self-education expenses.
- Home office running expenses.
- Overnight travel expenses attending different workplaces or for training purposes – includes accommodation and meals.
- Speeding and parking fines.
- Truck driving course.
Tax Strategies we can assist you with.
Self education expenses
Sunglasses, sunscreens and cosmetics
Computers, tools, equipment and other assets
Tax deductible dogs
Union fees, licences, registrations and subscriptions
Phone and internet
Motor vehicle expenses: cents per km method
Home office running expenses
Overnight travel expenses
Join thousands of individuals, investors and entrepreneurs who trust us with their tax returns, finance and accounting.
Clients served since 2012
Thousands of Aussies trust us with their tax returns and accounting
Tax Questions? Accounting Questions?
Got a burning question? Let us help. We’ll even do a month of your bookkeeping and provide you with a set of financial statements for free.
Late tax returns are our speciality