Struggling With The Cost of Your Weekly Grocery Shop? Check Out These Apps
Feeling the pinch of putting food on the table and other weekly household essentials in the cupboard? Groceries are certainly expensive right now – thank you high freight costs, supply constraints and strong demand!
Who could forget the price of lettuce rising from $4 to $10.80? Or the list of items, including broccoli, eggs, salmon, chicken breast, sunflower oil, leafy vegetables and cucumber, that have also seen hefty price increases.
To help consumers out, leading grocery stores have been dropping and locking prices on hundreds of products. In addition, various grocery price comparison and savings apps have popped up to help you find the best deals.
Here we look at the top three – WiseList, Frugl and Half Price – to see how they can help you save and keep that weekly bill down.
Free | 3 stars / 187 ratings
The WiseList app allows you to compare supermarket prices (Coles and Woolworths only), helping you spend less and save. It also offers multi-store same-day delivery.
How does WiseList work?
- Download app
- Create a grocery list in the app
- See and compare the total price of your grocery items at Coles and Woolies
- Shop in-store or get the cheapest items from both stores delivered to your door in as little as two hours
What other features does WiseList offer?
As well as enabling you to compare prices at two of Australia’s leading grocery stores, the WiseList app also offers gives you the ability to:
- Share real-time grocery lists with your family
- Browse catalogue specials and add them to your grocery list and watch list
- Add your Flybys and Woolworth Rewards cards and scan them at checkout via the app
- Store and keep track of upcoming bills and payments and compare and switch providers using its WiseBill feature
- Access over 100,000 recipes for free with a cost comparison
Are they any downsides to WiseList?
While it offers a lot of great money-saving features, the one main downside of WiseList is that it only compares prices at two supermarkets. What if you could save more money by shopping at ALDI or another store?
You also need to consider delivery and service fees in your savings:
- Delivery is a flat rate of $5 within 3km of both Woolworths and Coles. Every additional km after that is charged at $1 per km.
- A service fee 5 per cent is applied to your order’s subtotal, calculated on the amount before any promotions or discounts are applied.
Free | 3.2 stars / 105 ratings
The Frugl app can help you find savings on thousands of products every week across thousands of grocery stores nationwide, including Coles, ALDI, Woolies and IGA Supermarkets.
How does Frugl work?
- Download app
- Search or scan products or create lists for your fridge or pantry
- See and compare the prices across over 5,266 grocery brands
- Choose the best place/s to shop each week (prices are updated weekly)
What other features does Frugl offer?
As well as letting you compare prices for thousands of products and thousands of different grocery stores, the Frugl app also offers gives you the ability to:
- Set user dietary preferences, such as low salt, gluten-free or vegan to highlight suitable products
- Access information such as nutritional content and recommended daily intakes
Are there any downsides to Frugl?
While Frugl is a useful tool for comparing prices across thousands of products and stores, unlike WiseList, it doesn’t offer multi-store delivery. This means you may have to visit multiple stores each week to make decent savings.
However, because of its dietary and wellness functions, it may be the best option for those with allergies and special diet needs.
Free | 4.1 stars / 13.1k ratings
Unlike WiseList and Frugl, Half Price isn’t a grocery price comparison app. Instead, it shows you all the products that are currently half-price at Coles and Woolworths.
How does Half Price work?
- Download app
- Search or browse half-price products in real-time (data is updated every Wednesday)
- Build a shopping list to save time and money
- Head to Coles and Woolies to grab your discounted items
What other features does Half Price offer?
Half Price only shows you half-price products and allows you to create lists. It doesn’t offer any additional features currently.
Are they any downsides to Half Price?
The obvious downside to the Half Price app is that it only shows discounted products – you can’t create your entire grocery list using it.
It’s also limited to two supermarkets, Coles and Woolworths, which may be more expensive than stores you typically shop in.
You also need to remember that you’re only saving if you’re buying what you would be buying anyway. You’re not saving just because it’s reduced!
Start Slashing That Grocery List Today!
Whichever of these apps appeals most to you, why not download them today and have a play? If you can save $10, $20 or $50 or more on your weekly shop, that can add up to great savings and ease the financial strain.
As well as these three grocery savings apps, you could also take a look at another grocery price comparison app, SmartCart.
Struggling to Keep up Financially? We Can Help.
You can also check out their household budgeting tool to help determine how much you have to spend each week – and where you could make cutbacks.
And for your tax and accounting needs you can’t go past the friendly Accountants Direct team!