Tax deductions for fitness instructors
Fitness instructors provide exercise advice and motivate clients by setting goals, enhancing accountability, and providing feedback.
Average weekly pay: $1,000
Employment size: 31,000
Future growth: Very Strong
Skill level Certificate II or III
Typical tax deductions include:
- Motor vehicle travel to and from work if having either shifting workplaces (working at more than one site each day before returning home), or transporting bulky fitness equipment.
- Motor vehicle travel between various places of work, training related travel, or travel to competitions – where the prizes won would be part of income, or where coaching students.
- Telephone and internet – work %.
- Sun protection costs including sunglasses, sunscreen and cosmetics.
- Computers, tools and equipment – includes weights, mats, bars, sound system, treadmill, etc.
- Compulsory work uniform branded with the employer’s logo.
- Self education expenses – if related to current work and not reimbursed.
- Music, CDs, audio equipment and exercise videos.
- Home office running expenses.
- Overseas conferences, courses and study tours.
- Travel for sporting events attended as a spectator or as a participant unless the travel is undertaken in the course of performing work duties.
- General exercise clothing including tracksuits, shorts, tank tops, running shoes, sweat socks, armbands, headbands, and t-shirts.
- Pre-vocational courses such as a Certificate III in Fitness.
Tax Strategies we can assist you with.
Self education expenses
Overseas conferences, courses and study tours
Sunglasses, sunscreens and cosmetics
Computers, tools, equipment and other assets
Compulsory work uniform
Union fees, licences, registrations and subscriptions
Phone and internet
Motor vehicle expenses: cents per km method
Home office running expenses
Overnight travel expenses
Clients served since 2012
Thousands of Aussies trust us with their accounting
"I have been using Mr Tax Refund for a few years now and they have consistently delivered the best and easiest tax returns I've completed. After years of seeing an accountant in who overcharged and made me feel uncomfortable around my earnings and purchases, and always delivering low returns, the easy phone calls with Mr Tax Refund and good kickback have been a revelation. Big ups."
Sheneé Mabalhin Bobrige
Want some free advice?
Got a burning question? Let us help. We’ll even do a month of your bookkeeping and provide you with a set of financial statements for free.