Tax deductions for hairdressers
Hairdressers cut or style hair in order to enhance or maintain a person’s appearance.
Average weekly pay: $800
Employment size: 54,400
Future growth: Moderate
Skill level Certificate III or IV
Typical tax deductions include:
- Motor vehicle travel between various places of work, visiting clients, training related travel, or to competitions – where the prizes won would be part of income, or where coaching staff.
- Phone and internet – work %.
- Computers, tools and equipment – includes mobile phones, calculators, professional library, hair-cutting and hair-styling tools.
- Overnight travel expenses attending conferences, seminars, training courses, and industry promotions – includes airfares, accommodation, meals, and incidentals.
- Compulsory work uniform branded with the employers logo.
- Self-education courses – for example, Cert IV in Hairdressing or Diploma in Hairdressing Salon Management.
- Union fees, licences, registrations and subscriptions.
- Overtime meals – if paid a meal allowance under an industrial award.
- Magazines and books related to hairdressing, hairstyles, sales, customer service, and management.
- Home office running expenses.
- Handbags, briefcases and satchels.
- Grooming – including hairdressing, cosmetics, hair and skin care products.
- Membership joining fees.
Tax Strategies we can assist you with.
Overtime meal expenses
Self education expenses
Computers, tools, equipment and other assets
Compulsory work uniform
Union fees, licences, registrations and subscriptions
Phone and internet
Motor vehicle expenses: cents per km method
Home office running expenses
Handbags, briefcases and satchels
Overnight travel expenses
Clients served since 2012
Thousands of Aussies trust us with their accounting
"I have been using Mr Tax Refund for a few years now and they have consistently delivered the best and easiest tax returns I've completed. After years of seeing an accountant in who overcharged and made me feel uncomfortable around my earnings and purchases, and always delivering low returns, the easy phone calls with Mr Tax Refund and good kickback have been a revelation. Big ups."
Sheneé Mabalhin Bobrige
Want some free advice?
Got a burning question? Let us help. We’ll even do a month of your bookkeeping and provide you with a set of financial statements for free.