Tax deductions for journalists
Journalists research and compile news stories, write and edit news reports, commentaries and feature stories for presentation in print and electronic media.
Average weekly pay: $1,521
Employment size: 23,000
Future growth: Decline
Skill level Bachelor Degree or Higher
Typical tax deductions include:
- Motor vehicle travel to and from work if home is the base of employment.
- Motor vehicle travel to report on or investigate stories, attend meetings or training courses.
- Phone and internet – work %.
- Cost of attending sporting events, gala or social nights, concerts, or other events when required as an employee journalist to report on that event.
- Overnight travel expenses incurred for research-related travel – includes airfares, accommodation and meals.
- Payments made to informants provided the payments are authorised by the employer and not reimbursed – includes cash, food, cigarettes, etc
- Percentage of home occupancy costs if required by the employer to work from home – includes rent, mortgage interest, rates, insurance, etc.
- Handbags, briefcases, and satchels.
- Professional seminars, courses, conferences and workshops.
- Newspapers, magazines, books that relate to researching a topic as an employee journalist.
- Work-related portion of pay TV access payments if required to access pay TV as part of work.
- Home office running expenses.
- Compulsory work uniform branded with the employers logo.
- Computers, tools and equipment.
Tax Strategies we can assist you with.
Self education expenses
Overseas conferences, courses and study tours
Computers, tools, equipment and other assets
Compulsory work uniform
Logbook for motor vehicles
Union fees, licences, registrations and subscriptions
Phone and internet
Home office running expenses
Handbags, briefcases and satchels
Overnight travel expenses
[ivory-search id=”2777″ title=”Searching01″]
Join thousands of individuals, investors and entrepreneurs who trust us with their tax returns, finance and accounting.
Clients served since 2012
Thousands of Aussies trust us with their tax returns and accounting
Tax Questions? Accounting Questions?
Got a burning question? Let us help. We’ll even do a month of your bookkeeping and provide you with a set of financial statements for free.
Late tax returns are our speciality