Tax deductions for solicitors, barristers and legal clerks
Solicitors provide legal advice, prepare and draft legal documents, and conduct negotiations on behalf of clients on matters associated with the law.
Average weekly pay: $1,917
Employment size: 83,700
Future growth: Moderate
Skill level Bachelor Degree or higher
Typical tax deductions include:
- Motor vehicle travel visiting clients, attending training, and travel between offices/court.
- Phone and internet – work %. .
- Supreme Court library fees – annual subscriptions.
- Computers, tools and equipment – includes wigs worn for appearances in court.
- Professional indemnity insurance.
- Handbag, briefcase and satchel.
- Professional seminars, courses, conferences, and self- education costs.
- Home office running expenses.
- Union fees, licences, registrations and subscriptions.
- Overseas conferences, courses and study tours.
- Overnight travel expenses visiting clients, attending different workplaces, or for training purposes – includes airfares, accommodation and meals.
- Admission fees to practice law.
- Club memberships, e.g. golf club – even if this generates client referrals and work.
- Cost of business lunches, and social events.
- Client gifts and greeting cards.
- Legal costs in defending the right to practice.
Tax Strategies we can assist you with.
Self education expenses
Overseas conferences, courses and study tours
Computers, tools, equipment and other assets
Union fees, licences, registrations and subscriptions
Phone and internet
Motor vehicle expenses: cents per km method
Home office running expenses
Handbags, briefcases and satchels
Overnight travel expenses
Clients served since 2012
Thousands of Aussies trust us with their accounting
"I have been using Mr Tax Refund for a few years now and they have consistently delivered the best and easiest tax returns I've completed. After years of seeing an accountant in who overcharged and made me feel uncomfortable around my earnings and purchases, and always delivering low returns, the easy phone calls with Mr Tax Refund and good kickback have been a revelation. Big ups."
Sheneé Mabalhin Bobrige
Want some free advice?
Got a burning question? Let us help. We’ll even do a month of your bookkeeping and provide you with a set of financial statements for free.