Tax deductions for security guards
Security guards provide security and investigative services to organisations and individuals.
Average weekly pay: $1,177
Employment size: 50,100
Future growth: Moderate
Skill level High School or Certificate I
Typical tax deductions include:
- Motor vehicle travel to and from work if having shifting places of work – working at more than one site each day before returning home.
- Motor vehicle travel between work sites or for training purposes.
- Phone and internet – work %.
- Guard dog expenses if it’s a requirement of employment to provide a guard dog – includes food, veterinary expenses and registration fees.
- Sun protection costs including sunglasses, sunscreens and cosmetics.
- Computers, tools and equipment – includes mobile phones, laptops, ammunition, bulletproof jackets, body armour, gauntlets, holsters, handgrips, handcuffs, holders, pouches, and utility belts.
- Compulsory work uniform branded with the employers logo.
- Union fees, licences, registrations and subscriptions – includes annual security licence fees.
- Overtime meals – if paid a meal allowance under an industrial award.
- Home office running expenses.
- Self education expenses.
- Overnight travel expenses attending different workplaces or for training purposes – includes accommodation and meals.
- Training fees and costs of obtaining the initial security licence or ticket.
- Normal drivers licence.
- The purchase cost of the guard dog – as it’s a capital cost.
Tax Strategies we can assist you with.
Self education expenses
Sunglasses, sunscreens and cosmetics
Computers, tools, equipment and other assets
Compulsory work uniform
Tax deductible dogs
Union fees, licences, registrations and subscriptions
Phone and internet
Motor vehicle expenses: cents per km method
Home office running expenses
Overnight travel expenses
Join thousands of individuals, investors and entrepreneurs who trust us with their tax returns, finance and accounting.
Clients served since 2012
Thousands of Aussies trust us with their tax returns and accounting
Tax Questions? Accounting Questions?
Got a burning question? Let us help. We’ll even do a month of your bookkeeping and provide you with a set of financial statements for free.
Late tax returns are our speciality